Yellow Squash Fritters
I underestimated the fertility of having five yellow squash plants in my garden. REALLY underestimated. And since my cooking repertoire included one measly recipe for the summer staple, I’ve been testing new recipes on my (sometimes) lucky husband and kids. Here’s one that is quite delicious for breakfast…or really any meal! Think of it as a less starchy, better for you version of the potato pancake.
What you’ll need:
1/2 large yellow squash, 1 carrot, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (optional), 1/2 cup chopped spinach, 1 egg, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper (about 1/2 tsp of each or to taste). Oil for frying, enough to coat the bottom of your pan.
You can do without the mashed potatoes to make it healthier, but I find it helps make the fritter sturdier and easier to flip without falling apart.
First, shred the carrot and yellow squash on a paper towel and let drain a few minutes.
While you’re waiting you can start melting your oil in a skillet or large pan over medium-high. Then mix the carrots, squash, potatoes and spinach together.
Then mix in the egg and spices. I like a little extra salt and garlic, but add more or less to your taste. If you want to add a kick, you can mix in some red pepper flakes.
Once your oil is hot, scoop mixture into your skillet/pan. This recipe will make four large pancakes, which fit nicely in my medium sized skillet. Let fry for 4-5 minutes.
Then carefully flip over and continue frying 4-5 minutes on the opposite side. You’ll need to leave your perfectionism behind, especially if you’re making these without the potatoes. They can be a bit tricky to flip!
Then plop on a plate and enjoy! They are good as is or with a little ketchup on top.
Yellow Squash Fritters:
- 1/2 large yellow squash
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1 egg
- garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper (about 1/2 tsp of each or to taste).
- Oil for frying, enough to coat the bottom of your pan.
- Shred the carrot and yellow squash on a paper towel and let drain a few minutes.
- Melt butter/oil in a skillet or large pan over medium-high.
- Mix the carrots, squash, potatoes and spinach together.
- Mix in egg and spices
- Scoop mixture into your skillet/pan. This recipe will make four large pancakes
- Fry 4-5 minutes then flip and fry 4-5 minutes on opposite side